Shop

Shop
Shop

Interactive Notebooks

Interactive Notebooks
Interactive Notebooks

Freebies

Freebies
Freebies

Number Line Behavior

One of these days I'll post about something other than math.  Right now I'm on a math kick and I gotta just roll with it.

I came across a new site (well, new to me) when I was reading Stephanie's blog 3rd Grade Thoughts.


It's the Teaching Channel.  I love being able to go into other people's classrooms and see how they do things.  I always get good ideas that way.  The problem is I'm always teaching when they are so I don't get to visit very often.

I found this video that shows how to incorporate math into classroom management.  I teach 3rd grade so my kiddos don't learn about negative numbers.  However, a big push lately has been to find fractions on a number line and my kiddos definitely need more practice.  I thought about  using this idea to work on that skill.  I still need to give this idea some thought but I'm thinking about awarding fractional points for their behavior (fourth a point,half point, etc).  Of course, I would need to do A LOT of modeling.  Any suggestions?

4 comments

  1. I awarded you the One Lovely Blog Award! Stop by my blog to accept it!
    Amy
    Where Seconds Count 2nd grade blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of Teaching Channel! So glad to find out about it.

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! I play number line monster with my kids during the down time in the beginning of the year. They beg for it! Two kids each stand at one end of our 1-100 number line. The rest take turns guessing, but have to use is it greater than..., less that...odd number...have a 4 in the tens...and the two kids move closer until we can guess. It's a hoot!
    I'm your newest follower!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, thank you for sharing the number line monster with me. I can't wait to try it with my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete