Engaging Multiplication Practice



Learning multiplication facts is a huge deal for 3rd grade! I like to make the process as painless as possible. In addition to teaching the basic concepts of multiplication with lots of practice with manipulatives, I like to use music. Kids really enjoy learning with music and music has a way of putting facts into long term memory.




I begin with this CD of skip counting songs from Melody House. I start playing these songs long before my kids are introduced to multiplication. Even though the title says multiplication, these songs do not include multiplication - skip counting only. These songs have been around for a very long time. As a matter of fact, I first started using these songs 17 years ago. The songs are not very modern, but they are extremely catchy. I’ve been told from other teachers that my kids sing them years after they leave my class. That’s a win in my book!



http://www.musicnotesonline.com/
Once my kids have mastered skip counting, I move on to videos by Music Notes Online. This music set comes in CD (audio only) and DVD with music videos. I would definitely recommend getting the videos. These songs are very catchy and my kids love dancing to them.

I bought my DVD from Music Note's website, but now you can find them on Teacher's Pay Teachers

Although I rely a lot on multiplication songs, nothing replaces good old fashioned practice. The key is provide opportunities for practice without drilling and killing. I have my students practice multiplication facts with these no prep worksheets. 

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/NO-PREP-Multiplication-Fact-Practice-for-Centers-2980984

With searches students solve the equation more than once. As they are searching for the equation, they typically recite the fact in their head giving them more interaction with the fact.



https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/NO-PREP-Multiplication-Fact-Practice-for-Centers-2980984

This page provides a lot of practice. The best part is that each "gear" has 2 problems with missing factors so that my students have to work backwards.



https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/NO-PREP-Multiplication-Fact-Practice-for-Centers-2980984

Students love spinning and multiplying. The novelty of using a paper clip to spin for the factor keeps my students engaged.





Four in a Row games are a big hit in my class! My students enjoy being able to use strategies to help them win this game.


https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/NO-PREP-Multiplication-Fact-Practice-for-Centers-2980984


I have bundled all of these no prep multiplication activities into one resource. Once my students have mastered their multiplication facts, they are going to start working on the division unit.

I'm very pleased with the progress my students have made so far this year using these resources. Being fluent with math facts is allowing them to focus more of their brain power on problem solving!


No comments